Friday, June 24, 2022

Bethany House- Part 1


 Community of Welcome

    I actually had a hard time finding a meal available in the Winona area. After the pandemic started many of the community meals have taken a hiatus. I thought about writing on the meals that my kids pick up from the lunch bus at the aquatic center, but I finally found a time to get away to check out the Winona Catholic Worker’s Bethany House.

Their website stated that they had meals for pickup on weekday evenings along with the opportunity to do laundry or take showers. I parked nearby with the thought of quickly getting a meal already packaged and ready to go, but instead I walked into a meal laid out on the kitchen counter with multiple people already eating. I recognized the couple that were hosting the meal as being the parents of one of my daughter’s friends from school. They didn’t ask why I was there, instead they invited me in to fill a plate and find a place to sit. 

Although I felt slightly uncomfortable walking into an unfamiliar situation, I had no qualms about joining this community. We started talking about the possibility of the new police and fire station being built at the east end recreation center site. The city was finally going to allow a public comment on the possible plan and most people that I’ve talked to are opposed to the proposal. 

I really appreciated how welcome I felt at the Bethany House. It seemed that anyone who walked through the door was accepted and allowed to participate as much or as little as wanted. I ate quickly knowing I needed to get back home, but I am looking forward to seeing how I can get involved with this community service in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Experience Summary and Counseling Strategies

Coming from my background of privilege as part of the majority culture and not needing to worry where my next meal or place to sleep will ...