Friday, June 24, 2022

Los Dos Amigos Grocery- Part 2 extended

 

  A Surprising Multicultural Experience

    Last week I took my kids to the dentist. My older children had a teeth cleaning scheduled in downtown Winona. As we were waiting, my younger boys and I walked around the events at Steamboat days. We were enjoying the light breeze and watching kids screaming as they soared through the air on rides that I would have a panic attack with the thought of riding. After my big kids were finished with their appointment we all went to watch the show where trained dogs were going to do fantastic tricks. To our disappointment, they had canceled the show stating that the winds made the show too dangerous for the performance. 

    Though we missed the show, I glimpsed a sign across the street advertising fresh Tamales for sale. Tamales are usually made with corn mesa and a spiced meat in the center, wrapped in corn husks and prepared with multiple steps to create an amazing feast. I decided to take the opportunity to check out the new shop called Los Dos Amigos Grocery on 2nd street. We opened the door to a young boy watching his baby sister toddling around with a bottle of milk. Three women were managing the store and spoke Spanish. I immediately felt out of place and awkward, but tried to be as natural and easy going as possible, helping my children to feel comfortable with this new and unexpected environment. I asked about the sign for the tamales and a young man cashiering interpreted for the women. He said they were bringing the tamales soon, but they weren’t there yet. I decided we should take the opportunity to see what else they were selling in the store. We asked about the white cake with strawberry slices and found out this was a “tres leches” cake. I felt very conspicuous since we were the only customers in the store. I didn’t want to make a hasty exit, but I also was not prepared to feel so observed. I asked the kids if they’d like to pick out a few things that looked interesting. We got a piece of cake, and some Mexican candies and gum. I was thankful that the young man spoke English as I was checking out, but I’m reminded again that I really need to focus on learning Spanish. 

    We shared the rich and sweet cake drenched in milk. I don’t think I’ve ever had a cake like it before. Then each of the children took a bite from the sweets they had chosen. A lollipop filled with chili powder? We laughed with each taste, not having expected the sweet and spicy combination. Maybe we shouldn't have been eating candy just after going to the dentist, but I loved my children's’ willingness to experience something new that day. Though I had not been planning on having a multicultural outing, I feel like we each gained a little more flexibility and courage.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Experience Summary and Counseling Strategies

Coming from my background of privilege as part of the majority culture and not needing to worry where my next meal or place to sleep will ...